Water/Sewer Utility & Billing
Water / Sewer Billing is a division of the Finance Department, and processes all utility billing and collections for approximately 6,000 active billing accounts.
The City of The Dalles serves over 5,000 drinking water service connections. Some homes and businesses on the west side of The Dalles have drinking water served by Chenowith Water PUD.
The City of The Dalles provides wastewater collection service to every home and business within the City Limits.
Payment Window Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Payment Window Location: the 1st floor of City Hall, 313 Court Street, The Dalles, OR 97058
Go to Water/Sewer Utility Applications & Documents
Vaya a aplicaciones y documentos de servicios publicos de agua/alcantarillado
Who do I call about my water/sewer account or bill?
- Please fill out an application for the type of service (residential, commercial, rental owner).
- A photo-bearing document to establish identity is required.
- Please submit the utility application in person at the payment window on the 1st floor of City Hall, 313 Court Street, The Dalles, OR 97058 or by email at email@example.com or send a fax to (541) 298-5107.
The first bill also includes a one-time $20.00 set up fee.
Call the Utility Billing Division at (541) 506-2031 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have other questions about your bill.
The City will send past due utility account holders a disconnect notice that explains that the following:
- If the delinquent amount is not paid in full by the end of the current month, they will receive a pre-recorded telephone call to the telephone number of record on the first Wednesday of the following month.
- A charge of $20.00 will be added to the next utility bill for receiving this call.
If utility service is terminated, the account holder will be required to pay all amounts due, both delinquent and current, before utility service will be reconnected.
Payment can be made online, by mail, in person, by telephone, or by drop box.
Some customers are eligible for Automatic Bill Pay.
For more information go to the Make a Payment webpage.
The Mid-Columbia Community Action Council offers a variety of energy assistance programs designed to assist families who have low incomes with utility and heating fuel bills.
Eligible families can receive benefits paid toward their heating bill, including natural gas, electricity, wood, propane, and oil costs. Benefit amounts are determined by total household income, size, and historical energy usage and do not require a disconnection or situation where heating fuel is nearly exhausted in order to be received.
Our payment agreements are for a period of 30 days.
Any customer that defaults on two payment agreements within six months will not be eligible for payment agreements for one (1) year.
- For Residential customers, the first 10,000 gallons are included in the monthly fixed charge.
- For Commercial customers, the first 5,000 gallons are included in the monthly fixed charge.
- Water customers located outside of The Dalles City Limits have a monthly fixed charge that is one and a half times the applicable rate, in lieu of debt service property taxes collected inside the City for bonded water system improvements.
Water usage is billed in 1,000 gallon increments, with no charge incurred until a full thousand gallons is used. If the amount of water used does not exceed the amount covered by the monthly fixed charge, there will be no additional Water Usage Charge on the bill.
Sewer Service Charge: The sewer service charge covers costs for sanitary sewer system maintenance and wastewater treatment plant operations.
- Residential customers pay a flat rate based on one unit (10,000 gallons) regardless of the amount of water used.
- Other sewer customers pay a monthly charge per unit (10,000 gallons).
- In-City Residential customers are charged a flat rate storm water fee.
- Commercial and other customer types are charged a storm water fee by a calculation of the impermeable area on their property.
Who do I call about my water service?
Please call the Public Works Department for emergency water shut off.
Call (541) 296-5401 during office hours: Monday - Friday 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Call (541) 980-7703 for after hours water/sewer emergencies.
If the water does not clear, please contact the Public Works office at (541) 296-5401.
A Backflow Prevention Assembly Installation Permit must be issued before installation. An online form is available here.
Assembly selection, installation and testing must conform to requirements set out in The Dalles Municipal Code Chapter 3.20 Cross Connection Control as a condition of water service, as required by the State of Oregon Health Authority.
A brochure explaining backflow prevention requirements is available here.
If you have any questions about the form or about annual testing of backflow prevention assemblies, please call (541) 296-5401 and ask for the Cross Connection Specialist.
Please do not pull out your meter lid to check if it is insulated because you could accidently damage the wire connected to the meter box lid.
Who do I call about other utilities in The Dalles?
The Dalles Disposal serves the residents of Wasco, Sherman and Gillam counties in Oregon including The Dalles. They collect non-hazardous solid waste:
- Yard Waste
- Commingled Recycling