On Monday, May 27, 2024 all City Offices will be closed for the Memorial Day holiday.
close icon

City of The Dalles, OR

Water/Sewer Utility & Billing

Water / Sewer Billing is a division of the Finance Department, and processes all utility billing and collections for approximately 6,000 active billing accounts.

The City of The Dalles serves over 5,000 drinking water service connections. Some homes and businesses on the west side of The Dalles have drinking water served by Chenowith Water PUD.

The City of The Dalles provides wastewater collection service to every home and business within the City Limits.

Link to City of The Dalles utility service area map.

Payment Window Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Payment Window Location:  the 1st floor of City Hall, 313 Court Street, The Dalles, OR 97058

Go to Water/Sewer Utility Applications & Documents

Vaya a aplicaciones y documentos de servicios publicos de agua/alcantarillado


Go to the Public Works Department webpage

Who do I call about my water/sewer account or bill?

Who do I call to start or stop water/sewer service?
To start water or sewer utility service:
  • Please fill out an application for the type of service (residential, commercial, rental owner).
  • A photo-bearing document to establish identity is required.
  • Please submit the utility application in person at the payment window on the 1st floor of City Hall, 313 Court Street, The Dalles, OR 97058  or by email at utilitybilling@ci.the-dalles.or.us or send a fax to (541) 298-5107.
To stop water or sewer utility service call the Utility Billing Division at (541) 506-2031 or send a fax to (541) 298-5107.
Who do I call about water/sewer billing?
Call the Utility Billing Division at (541) 506-2031 or email utilitybilling@ci.the-dalles.or.us if you have questions about your bill.
Who do I call about a high water/sewer bill?
Billing is processed on the last day of each month. If you sign up for utility service in the middle of the billing cycle, your first bill will include a prorated amount for service to the end of the current month as well as one full month in advance.

The first bill also includes a one-time $20.00 set up fee.

Call the Utility Billing Division at (541) 506-2031 or email utilitybilling@ci.the-dalles.or.us if you have other questions about your bill.
When is my bill due?
Payment for water and sewer utility bills must be made in full by 5:00 pm on the 20th of each month. If the 20th falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline will be the first working day after the 20th. If payment in full is not received by that time, a one and one half percent (1.5%) penalty will be applied to the utility account.

The City will send  past due utility account holders a disconnect notice that explains that the following:

  • If the delinquent amount is not paid in full by the end of the current month, they will receive a pre-recorded telephone call to the telephone number of record on the first Wednesday of the following month.
  • A charge of $20.00 will be added to the next utility bill for receiving this call.
Whether the account holder actually receives the pre-recorded telephone call or not, placing this call is considered to be a legal notice that if the delinquent amount on the utility account is not paid within the seven days following the pre-recorded call, utility service will be terminated for non-payment.

If utility service is terminated, the account holder will be required to pay all amounts due, both delinquent and current, before utility service will be reconnected.
What are my payment options?

Payment can be made online, by mail, in person, by telephone, or by drop box.

Some customers are eligible for Automatic Bill Pay.

For more information go to the Make a Payment webpage.

How do I apply for assistance with paying a utility bill?

The Mid-Columbia Community Action Council offers a variety of energy assistance programs designed to assist families who have low incomes with utility and heating fuel bills.

Eligible families can receive benefits paid toward their heating bill, including natural gas, electricity, wood, propane, and oil costs.  Benefit amounts are determined by total household income, size, and historical energy usage and do not require a disconnection or situation where heating fuel is nearly exhausted in order to be received.

Can I make a payment arrangement?
Please call (541) 506-2031 or email utilitybilling@ci.the-dalles.or.us to set up a payment arrangement.

Our payment agreements are for a period of 30 days.

Any customer that defaults on two payment agreements within six months will not be eligible for payment agreements for one (1) year.
What are the water and sewer rates?
Water Base Charge:  Customers pay a monthly fixed charge according to the size of the water meter. The monthly fixed charge covers costs that are ongoing regardless of the amount of water used, such as water system maintenance, meter reading and billing costs.

  • For Residential customers, the first 10,000 gallons are included in the monthly fixed charge. 
  • For Commercial customers, the first 5,000 gallons are included in the monthly fixed charge.
  • Water customers located outside of The Dalles City Limits have a monthly fixed charge that is one and a half times the applicable rate, in lieu of debt service property taxes collected inside the City for bonded water system improvements.
Water Usage Charge: A volume charge is added per 1,000 gallons used over the amount included in the monthly fixed charge.  Specific volume charges vary based on the customer type and size of the water meter.

Water usage is billed in 1,000 gallon increments, with no charge incurred until a full thousand gallons is used. If the amount of water used does not exceed the amount covered by the monthly fixed charge, there will be no additional Water Usage Charge on the bill.

Sewer Service Charge: The sewer service charge covers costs for sanitary sewer system maintenance and wastewater treatment plant operations. 

  • Residential customers pay a flat rate based on one unit (10,000 gallons) regardless of the amount of water used.
  • Other sewer customers pay a monthly charge per unit (10,000 gallons). 
Storm Water Drainage Charge: The storm water drainage charge covers costs for capital improvements based on the Storm Water Master Plan.

  • In-City Residential customers are charged a flat rate storm water fee.
  • Commercial and other customer types are charged a storm water fee by a calculation of the impermeable area on their property.
View the City Fee Schedule for more information.

Who do I call about my water service?

Who do I call for emergency water shut off?

Please call the Public Works Department for emergency water shut off.

Call (541) 296-5401 during office hours: Monday - Friday 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Call  (541) 980-7703 for after hours water/sewer emergencies.

Who do I call about cloudy or brown drinking water?
Occasionally main flushing causes water flowing from a tap to be discolored from stirred up sediment or milky white caused by tiny air bubbles. Although discolored water won’t make you sick, you might want to flush the pipe by running the water for several minutes before drinking or washing.

If the water does not clear, please contact the Public Works office at (541) 296-5401.
Who do I call about water quality questions?
Questions about the Annual Water Quality Report or The Dalles Water Quality Laboratory can be answered by the Water Quality Manager at Wicks Water Treatment Plant (541) 298-1242.
Who do I call about backflow prevention assembly installation or testing?

A Backflow Prevention Assembly Installation Permit must be issued before installation. An online form is available here.

Assembly selection, installation and testing must conform to requirements set out in The Dalles Municipal Code Chapter 3.20 Cross Connection Control as a condition of water service, as required by the State of Oregon Health Authority.

A brochure explaining backflow prevention requirements is available here.

 If you have any questions about the form or about annual testing of backflow prevention assemblies, please call (541) 296-5401 and ask for the Cross Connection Specialist.

Who do I call about water meter freeze protection?
The City of The Dalles Public Works Department has insulated your water meter with either a thermal blanket or wood chips. If you lift the small door on your water meter and notice that the thermal blanket is missing, call the Public Works Department at (541) 296-5401.

Please do not pull out your meter lid to check if it is insulated because you could accidently damage the wire connected to the meter box lid.

Who do I call about other utilities in The Dalles?

Electric Utility
Northern Wasco County People’s Utility District is a customer-owned utility that provides nearly 25,000 people and businesses with electricity in Wasco County, Oregon, including The Dalles.
Curbside Trash and Recycling Collection

The Dalles Disposal serves the residents of Wasco, Sherman and Gillam counties in Oregon including The Dalles.  They collect non-hazardous solid waste:

  • Trash
  • Yard Waste
  • Commingled Recycling
  • Glass