City of The Dalles, OR

Now Taking Applications for the Residential Sidewalk Rehabilitation Cost-Share Program

Is the sidewalk in front of your home damaged?

City of the Dalles is still taking application for the Residential and Commercial Redevelopment Sidewalk Rehabilitation Cost-Share Program. Due to the success of this program, commercial property project funds are fully allocated for fiscal year 2023/2024.

Damaged sidewalks can be challenging for parents pushing strollers, children walking to school, pet owners walking their dogs, and people using wheelchairs, walkers or canes. The purpose of the program is to help property owners rehabilitate deteriorated sidewalks that are their responsibility. This voluntary program is intended to improve safe passage and livability in The Dalles.

The City will consider applications for the rehabilitation or replacement of existing sidewalks as well as new sidewalks as part of a commercial redevelopment project. New sidewalks required for an approved building permit on a new or undeveloped lot are not eligible. Applicants for this program must be the property owner or authorized developer.

Eligible projects must be completed by June 30, 2024. Applications will be funded on a first come, first eligible basis until funds run out.
For the fiscal year 2023/2024, the City has budgeted:

  • $50,000 for residential property projects (funds still available)
  • $50,000 for commercial property projects (funds fully allocated to projects)
  • $250,000 for redevelopment of commercial property projects (funds still available)


The amount the City will cost-share is variable based on the type of property:

  • Residential Property: 60% City-40% Property Owner
  • Residential Property (low income): 80% City-20% Property Owner
  • Commercial Property: 50% City-50% Property Owner
  • Commercial Redevelopment: 50% City-50% Developer

Additional conditions may apply.

Please see the Sidewalk Rehabilitation Cost-Share Program Application for details and requirements. Property owners can download an application from the City website at Property owners who do not have access to the internet, please call (541) 296-5401 to ask for a paper copy.